Hello there! I am 18 years old, and i admit i've never used make-up. I wanted to use some but i just get lost whenever i am confronted with numerous and overwhelming choices in stores. I wanted to just achieve an everyday light make-up look. What items do you suggest i buy first? Thanks, Eva!
Ha—you’re not alone! I too feel lost when confronted with the numerous choices sent to me on a daily basis. But in fact, that wealth of choice has helped me figure out what my perfect daily routine consists of. Here are a few of my must-haves for a light, fresh face:
- tinted moisturizer or BB Cream (let’s all be honest—BB Cream is basically a fancy name for a juiced up tinted moisturizer): CK One, Boscia, Nars are my favorites.
- mascara: I prefer a long but natural look and Eyeko, Covergirl, and Benefit are my #1 choices!
- lipstain: I actually swipe on a few layers of Tarte (Amused if you’re into brighter pinks, Charmed if you want a softer look) before I put on the rest of my makeup. When I’m done with my makeup, I blot off the excess. My new obsession is also this product from L’Oreal. It begins with a glossy finish but leaves a stain that lasts all day.
- a touch of something on cheeks to bring dimension and life to the face. To be honest, when I was your age I didn’t wear blush because my cheeks were naturally rosy and full of youth and promise (sigh). Now that I’m in my—eep—30s, I wear blush because I need to. If I were your age, I’d probably just put a touch of illuminator on the cheekbones. This one from Nyx is great, if you don’t want to splurge on Nars.
- powder: a touch—the teensiest dusting—of it on the t-zone just to prevent shine, if you’re prone to it. I use Make Up For Ever since a little goes a long, long way and it lasts all day.
And that’s it! I know makeup can feel intimidating but really, it’s all about fun and experimentation! Go out there and enjoy yourself, you’ll get the hang of it.